ALL ABOUT YOUR THYROID
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!
Over 50 million Americans have thyroid problems, but many do not know about it. The basics you need to know include, but is not limited to the following questions:
Where is the thyroid and what is its function (what does it do)?
- It is a small, butterfly-shaped gland that is in the low neck, just below the Adam’s apple (see below)
- It is in charge of many body functions including the heart, brain, liver, kidney and skin
What problems can the thyroid cause?
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Weight changes
- Hair and skin changes
- Depression and Anxiety
- Bowel problems
- Menstrual Irregularities & Fertility Problems
- Cholesterol Issues
What can cause thyroid issues?
- Family history
- Prescription medications can affect the thyroid function (example; Lithium, Amiodarone
- Radiation therapy treatment to the head or neck area
How do I know if it is Cancer?
- Many patients do not have any symptoms and the lump is usually found during a routine physical exam, or imaging of the neck done for something else
- If cancer is suspected, further evaluation can be done with Ultrasound, Thyroid scan, and a Fine-Needle Aspiration (FNA – using a small needle to sample the abnormal area)
- Many patients with thyroid cancer can be successfully treated
As you can see, that little thyroid gland can cause a lot of issues. Would you agree that you and your love ones should know more? If you have concerns about any of the symptoms above, be sure to ask your doctor at your next appointment, “Could this [insert symptom here] be caused by a thyroid dysfunction?” You will be all the better for it!
Ipsa Scientia Potestas est ——— Knowledge itself is power!
Your Family Friendly Cancer Doc, Queen!
Until next time…